The history of the lamp producer ANVIA begun in 1933 in Almelo, a city in the east of Netherland. It was a continuation of the Berlin-based company Lessmann Moset Nachfolger established in 1906. Lessmann Moset Nachfolger was owned by a Jewish entrepreneur Max Liebert who was forced to sell the major part of his business, he was allowed to transfer the part of Lessmann Moset Nachfolger to Netherland though. The name ANVIA stands for Algemeene Nederlandsche Verlichtings Industrie Almelo.
Max Liebert led the lightning company with his son Werner and the husband of his daughter Fritz Kaufmann. They were forced to interrupt their business in 1942 and Max Liebert with his wife and son were transported to extermination camps Sobibór and Auschwitz where they later died.
ANVIA's offer of lights, in the photograph most likely with Fritz Kaufmann
Fritz Kaufmann and Liebert's daughter, Ilse, who survived the war were asked by the former employees to reestablish the factory in 1946. Fritz Kaufmann dies in 1946 and the company ANVIA ceases to be led by the Liebert family for good.
Jan J. M. Hoogervorst
The ANVIA's most successful period started in eartly 1950's when they started cooperate with an industrial designer Jan J. M. Hoogervorst. He designed all the iconic lights that later became collector's items. His designs made ANVIA one of the most successful lighting company in 1950's and 1960's Netherland, together with Phillips and Hala.
Lamp called The Grasshopper from the year 1955, one of the well-known J.J.M. Hoogervorst's designs
Hanging lamp called The Upper King, also by J.J.M. Hoogervorst from late sixties
Due to ongoing industrialization in 1970's and 1980's the company owners changed several times. In late 1980's it comes to an end of its existence.
In 2014 a Dutch enterpreteur Michel Klein found some J.J.M. Hoogervorst's lights online and began to research ANVIA's history. He succeed to find and meet Max Liebert's grandchildren and a son of Jan Hoogervorst who provided him documents and photographs of light designs that helped him to reconstruct the production.
Since 2015 the re-established firm ANVIA again produces the original designs by J.J.M. Hoogervorst following the original techniques and hand-crafted parts and finish. The lights are even made close to the city Almelo where the original production started in 1933.
Original table lamp Anvia type 6019 made is 1950s
Lamp No.1603 called The Shade No.17 made after the original design by J.J.M. Hoogervorst from 1957
Lamp No.1604 named The Shade No.43 made after the original design by J.J.M. Hoogervorst from 1957
Lamp No.1503 named The Stilletto following one of the Hoogervorst's first designs for ANVINA in early fifties